Talk:December Monthly Meeting Agenda
I think we need to break the agenda off into decisional items and discussion topics. The meeting should only be needed for decisional items which require money or organizational change. Right? Seems like our meetings get longer, and we rarely make decisions unless the issue is forced. Definitely recommend discussion happen between (or just after) meetings with a decisional vote at the meeting based on the consensus of the discussion. Abyssknight 08:44, 8 December 2011 (CST)
- Do-ocracied that division myself. If you don't like it, feel free to edit. Abyssknight 09:31, 8 December 2011 (CST)
- Space decision: Kitchenette walls, doors & floor (can decide on cabinets & such later) - There is a proposed door cost - Digitalman2112 07:26, 3 December 2011 (CST)
- Space decision: Ratify classroom is classroom - Digitalman2112 07:26, 3 December 2011 (CST)
- Structure Decision: Reinforce Classroom ceiling with beams or keep 1 post with utilities DWoodsTEC 15:21, 5 December 2011 (CST)
- Yes, keep beam w/ utilities.
- Space decision: Ratify admin office is admin office - Digitalman2112 07:26, 3 December 2011 (CST)
- Accept proposed donations / "leased" items (Pledged_Equipment) - Digitalman2112 07:26, 3 December 2011 (CST)
- Space decision: Screen printing area Da3v 12:10, 6 December 2011 (CST)
- Yes, if it can be contained. Need to approve funds for "wet room" if we do this.
- Yes, lockers are too expensive to scale. (Also, my wife bought me one, and it needs somewhere to live. Don't make my cart homeless.)
- Audio equipment for lab common spaces and classroom. Direction to proceed, special one time deals. Hybridsix 11:03, 7 December 2011 (CST)
- Yes, and willing to pitch in cash to support one time purchases.
- "Classroom" A/V Setup, Sponsorship, Basic design criteria Hybridsix 11:03, 7 December 2011 (CST)
- I strongly suggest letting Hybridsix run with this. We need to set an upper bound on cost, and see who can support it, but otherwise I think we go ahead and move on it.
- High Voltage Electrical Direction : Where to place new outlets, how to divide circuits, automation for Energy Conservation Hybridsix 12:13, 7 December 2011 (CST)
- Someone needs to step up and own this. Plot out where things need to go, plan the circuit upgrades, and talk to the electrician.
- Low Voltage/Limited Energy Electrical Direction: Networking, Speaker, Video, Control Hybridsix 12:13, 7 December 2011 (CST)
- Cameras need 12v. CAT6/5e drops to classroom at a bare minimum. Speakers and other A/V mostly in the classroom -- minimal viable, and expandable system.
- FamiLab Name Badges / Lanyards for open house events, to differentiate between members and non-members. Hybridsix 12:19, 7 December 2011 (CST)
- Let's just do this. I had some before, not sure where they went.
- Signup computer terminal at future open houses for mailing list / lab signup / more information request Hybridsix 12:19, 7 December 2011 (CST)
- Maybe set a station up in the reception area? I know my wife suggested an open terminal for people waiting out there to use.
- Space/Cost: Budget approval for A/C ducting repair Abyssknight 13:48, 7 December 2011 (CST)
- Ian's note - needs to be part of a broader "check the AC, ensure everything functions, work with Dave Woods to remedy. If we are MODDING the original system, beyond initial "make sure it works", then FamiLAB may have cost. Ian
- Agreed, just needs to get done pretty soon or we will forget about it.
- Expenses during the month: How will we approve, how will we reimburse, what happens if the person loses the receipt Digitalman2112 06:17, 8 December 2011 (CST)
- Yes, this is critical. Also may be good to discuss funding projects with member solicited funds. Just because we don't have it in budget doesn't mean we can't do it -- it just means you have to try harder.
- Increase focus by moving to one microcontroller Monday per month, or leave as-is? Da3v
- I had an idea to make one night a month the "classroom instruction" night and the other more of a "show and tell". Really if people are only interested in instruction one night a month would make sense. Mack
- We need to ramp up classes, but I'd say reducing MicroMonday to one a month makes sense. Then we can use that day for another class.
- Membership levels: Current structure defines "thinker" and "maker" levels. There has been objection to limiting access to tools. Mack
- The value add really needs to be well defined, otherwise no one will pay the higher level of dues. Why would you pay extra for the same level of access? Personal storage is great, but currently not enforced as a "maker" level only thing.
- Where are these objections coming from? My assumption is that most of the complaints are coming from non-members or "thinker" level members. Not trying to take a hard stance here, but it seems like people are complaining to complain again.
- We can't sustain the lab at $20 a head. 20 * ~30 = 600/month which is barely our rent at the old space. If anything, we need to up the rates so we can make our utility bill.
- We need a better solution to this problem. Access control didn't work at the old space, and apparently it isn't going to work here either.
- Most of the issues we have tend to be with people who are not as invested in the space, be it time or money. As seen with the fire extinguisher, laser-hogger, and other recent issues.