New Member Orientation Info
Getting Started at FamiLAB
Now that you are a member, here are some things you should do to improve your FamiLAB experience:
- Show up on Tuesday nights - the 1st Tuesday is typically the Open House, the 3rd Tuesday is typically the Monthly Member Meeting (Decision time...) but check the calendar and the Public Classes & Events Page
- Use the calendar on the FamiLAB website to know about the major dates
- Join the mailing lists - the discuss list is the most active
- Read the blog often (and eventually provide content plz!)
- Follow @FamiLAB on twitter - this tends to be "offical announcement" type stuff for the public. Please retweet :)
- Hang out on IRC - #familab on freenode with your favorite IRC client, or you can use webchat
- Start connecting with other members on Google+ - this tends to be the real time thoughts & project updates
- Start reading the wiki from the FamiLAB home page - there is a lot here. Email Chris (Chorca) with your desired username for a wiki account so that you can add more questions (and later...answers)
- Add your Home & Work (APPROXIMATE LOCATION ONLY) to the Map of Important FamiLAB Locations
- Get a key from Mack (f00bard) or Ian (digitalman2112) - most new members come to a Tuesday night gathering. If you let us know you are coming in advance, we can make sure to have a key for you.
- Please ask questions :)
- Start coming to the lab, you can watch & learn, or make & learn, or teach & learn... at your own pace.
How do I?
This section is new, and needs lots of answers...please help! Don't duplicate info here - it should mostly be links to other FamiLAB wiki or website pages...
- Get a key
- Get a wiki account - Email Chris (Chorca) with your desired username for a wiki account
- Get a wordpress account - Contact Bill (abyssknight) or Mack (f00bard)
- Get a locker
- Know what is going on - or when people will be at the lab
- Bring guests
- Attend a class
- Volunteer to work an event
- Hold a class / workshop / Event
- Schedule it at the lab or at Cloudspace or other location
- Add it to EventBrite
- Use the RepRap / Makerbot
- Use the Laser
- Get through the gate
- Borrow books from the library
- Get auto-op from IRC famibot
- Donate things to the lab (and what things?)
- Know which things in the lab are ok to use for my projects?