FamiLAB 10x is the working name of our new space! The name stems from the fact that it's 10 times the size of our current space.
- 1 New Address
- 2 Preliminary Rules
- 3 Current Layout
- 4 Utilities / Services
- 5 Stuff to purchase
- 6 Stuff being donated or "leased" to FamiLAB
- 7 Potential Zones of Workspace
- 8 Proposed modifications
1355 Bennett Dr.
Longwood, FL 32750
Please DO NOT park, visit, or occupy space at this building until Dec 1st, or per a move plan email.
We'll get together to agree on a set of rules for the new space. For the time being, please adhere to the following:
- No modification of walls, electrics, plumbing, etc. until we have a process in place. We need to build consensus on any changes.
- We have to run modifications by the landlord (who is also a member).
- During the move, we are only bringing in what is in the existing space. Anything above and beyond that should be agreed to by the membership. Ten times more space doesn't mean ten times the junk.
- Don't "claim" space. Again, we need to come up with a process to balance personal property with the needs of the space, and get everyone to agree on it.
- Don't fill up the dumpster at either the current space or the new one.
Updated 12/1/11 by landlord. (note: A/C Units in offices are above ceiling.)
Utilities / Services
- See Treasurer (Ian) for details / questions
- Dumpster (Locking) - 2 cubic yard dumpster, every other week pickup, $35 per month starting Dec 1st.
- Liability Insurance - $1M policy, effective Dec 1st
- Progress Energy, cutover scheduled for Dec 1st. PLEASE CONSERVE POWER - THIS IS OUR LARGEST MONTHLY FINANCIAL RISK!
- Internet - 8 down, 1.5 up (possible static ip), being funded by the building owner. In return, we will manage an internet-connected security system. Install scheduled for approx Dec 1.
Stuff to purchase
- Ian started an Amazon Wishlist for FamiLAB 10x - http://amzn.com/w/FC8KA1DVJMEC email him to add stuff, or post links here :)
- Folding chairs + rack to store/move them
- Banquet tables
- Full size refrigerator
- Parts Storage: Extreme Makeover Lab Edition
- Raw materials rack (for plywood, acrylic, etc)
- Railing or similar preventative measure for dock high area
- Short throw projector for classroom area
- Open/Closed sign for the public? Maybe a FamiLAB custom build?
Stuff being donated or "leased" to FamiLAB
- Pledged Equipment - Can get get preliminary approval to bring this stuff to the lab from the membership?
Potential Zones of Workspace
- "Store Front" for visitors and first impressions
- Brochures and membership packets
- RFID registration capability
- Finished project museum
- Classroom & Presentation room
- "Think Lab" for coworking and basic hand tool use
- "Make Lab" for high end equipment
- Soft hacking area (sewing machines, kiln, etc)
- Soldering & Rework area
- 3d printer village
- Stage for famiband & DJ booth
- Any electrics must be up to code. In conduit at a minimum.
- 3 phase available, not in our panel.
- Dave Woods has an electrician.
- Microwave, Toaster
- Outlets (GFCI)
- Occupancy limits
- Structural improvements (stairs!) - good links on building stairs - http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=469
- More fire extinguishers
- More eyewash
- Directions to the hospital http://g.co/maps/jtne5
RFID Access Control
- Front door to start - Aaron has the lead
- Parts to be ordered
- Will use off the shelf HID reader with Arduino backend
- Later: door to shop
- Later: major equipment control
- Project to monitor our electrical consumption and avoid power bill surprises
- Some great open-source projects out there - see http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/ for one example
- Need someone to propose a budget and then own the project - this will be a huge part of how we maximize our funds!
- Ian will donate a Nanode to this cause...
- Skycraft has some nice big transformers for current monitoring, I think