Prepping Model for Slicing
Recommended File Type: OBJ or STL
Avoid 5+ sided faces
No manifold geometry or Lamina faces (faces sharing all edges)
Check scale and orientation! Z-up & Millimeters
Slice Model to Print
There are many model slicing softwares available. Each one gives you gCode but not all give you the same amount of control over your print settings. 3D Printing can be temperamental. From filament varieties, bed adhesion, and environmental changes many factors will effect the quality of your print. The widely preferred slicer at Familab is Simplify3d, which was crowd-funded in February 2016. Here is a quick start guide from Simplify3d!
1) Prep & slice 3D model.
2) Turn on printer switch on back of machine.
3) [Login to Octoprint] on lab network.
URL: deltamaker.familab.org Username: admin Password: #$familab#$
4) Upload Gcode to Octoprint with 'upload' button under files menu.
5) [Preheat printhead] under 'Temperature' tab. The Deltamaker does not have a heated bed.
6) [Preview layers] under 'Gcode Viewer' tab and check for any possible issues.
7) Click 'Print' under state menu.
8) Watch the magic happen... or take a nap.
6) Print should pop off after print is complete. If it is extra adhered just pop it off with a flat paint scraper. Be careful not to damage the print bed.
1) Prep & Slice Model.
2) Upload gCode to SD card.
3) Turn on printer on right side of machine.
4) [Insert SD Card] on left side of console.
5) If printhead settings are not included in gCode; Preheat print head.
InfoScreen > Prepare > Preheat PLA
6) Select print.
Infoscreen > Print From SD > File
7) Watch the magic happen... or take a nap.
8) Print should pop off after print is complete. If it is extra adhered just pop it off with a flat paint scraper. Be careful not to damage the print bed.
Simplify3d has a great print quality trouble shooting guide for all of your failed print confusion!
The old 3D Printing page has been moved to 3D Printing (archived)