Theater Discussion Night
|Next Scheduled Movie|
|When:||June 22nd @ 9PM (21:00)|
- 1 RULES
- 2 Mini-Schedule for Upcoming TDN Events
- 3 Theater Discussion Night
- 4 Next Movie
- 5 The Suggested Movie List
- 6 Star Wars Night
- 7 Westworld Nights
- 8 Discussion
- 9 Slack Channel for Theater Discussion Night
- 10 Movie Rating System Information:
- 11 The Fine Print Disclaimer
- 12 About "Theater Discussion Night"
- 13 Some Informational External Links Regarding Movies and Media Playing Software
Please also view: The Fine Print Disclaimer
Mini-Schedule for Upcoming TDN Events
|Month - Day||Movie|
|June - 22nd||"Ex Machina"|
|July - 13th||"Automata"|
|July - 27th||"A.I. Artificial Intelligence"|
|August - 10th||"In Time"|
|August - 24th||"The Black Hole"|
|Sept. 14th||"Bicentennial Man"|
- This list is subject to change without notice. Be sure to check it before each event to see if changes have been made to the schedule.
- Movie titles are linked with their respective IMDb page.
- Any event slot with Open means no movie has been planned for that day. Suggestions are welcome for that event.
Theater Discussion Night
|What:||This event features educational presentation of movies and select TV shows through the healthy discussion of each selected movie and TV show.|
General events are on the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month starting at 9PM (21:00).
|Why:||Discussion of movies brings added dimension to many movies and it just happens to be required for this event.|
Standard guests are current adult FamiLAB Members.
Lloyd Black organizes and hosts all "Theater Discussion Night" (known as TDN) general events.
|How:||Classroom video projector and movie screen plus Lloyd's own laptop.|
|Popcorn:|| Lloyd purchased a popcorn machine for use at the lab. It's for everyone's enjoyment.|
It will be made fresh before every TDN event.
All you need to do is ask and get some yourself from the laptop bar.
| 8:30-9:00 PM
| 9:00-9:30 PM
| After Movie
|Event Organizers and Co-Hosts:|
|When:||June 22nd @ 9:00 PM (21:00)|
|Ex Machina||2014||R||Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 48 Mins|
The Suggested Movie List
- Movies to be suggested should be primarily from the 80's science-fiction genre but can also range to other eras and genres as well, depending on the content of the movie.
- All movies are to be fictional and enjoyable for the majority of viewers. This means no factual historical movies or documentaries.
- Also, no movies that may cause unreasonable stress or trauma to the viewer. That content decision will be decided by Lloyd.
- Movies with religious or strong political themes which could be offensive will not be considered. Again, that will be decided by Lloyd.
- Just because a movie is in the list doesn't mean it will be selected to be shown. This list is just for inspiration and to give options to pull from.
- Current movies in the suggested list being considered are in not of any particular meaningful order or priority.
- Not all movies in the list are in Lloyd's personal collection. Some may need to be purchased ahead of time before an event.
- Movies needing to be purchased ahead of time need will require a month to acquire before it's to be shown.
- Movies may be donated to Lloyd but are to be permanent donations, not loans.
|Movie listings are color coded by MPAA rating:|
- "Unrated" and "Unknown" movies will be considered "Rated R" unless other information can be provided indicating what it should be rated as or equivalent to.
About the list table:
- Movie titles are linked to their IMDb pages. Some IMDb information may be inaccurate so do not rely on them for factual data.
- Movies are listed alphanumerically (by alphabetical or numerical order) for ease of searching and that's it, there are no other reasons for their order.
- The additional information listed is for those who wish to look for certain ratings, genres, or time length.
- Movie titles that are grayed out and with a 'strike through' are movies which have been shown. They remain on the list for reference purposes to track what movies have been previously displayed.
- Movies may be shown again if they're requested by popular demand. Contact Lloyd Black if you desire to see any of the movies which have been already shown.
The Suggested List:
|12 Monkeys (aka: Twelve Monkeys)||1995||R||Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller||2 Hr 9 Mins|
|1408||2007||PG-13||Horror||1 Hr 44 Mins|
|2001: A Space Odyssey||1968||G||Adventure, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 29 Mins|
|2010||1984||PG||Adventure, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 56 Mins|
|A Clockwork Orange||1971||NC-17||Crime, Drama, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 16 Mins|
|A.I. Artificial Intelligence||2001||PG-13||Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 26 Mins|
||1980||R||Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 42 Mins|
|Android||1982||PG||Sci-Fi||1 Hr 20 Mins|
|Automata||2014||R||Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 49 Mins|
|Beetlejuice||1988||PG||Comedy, Fantasy||1 Hr 32 Mins|
|Bicentennial Man||1999||PG||Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 12 Mins|
|The Black Hole||1979||PG||Action, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 38 Mins|
||1982||R||Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 57 Mins|
|Blade Runner 2049||2017||R||Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 44 Mins|
|Brazil||1985||R||Drama, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 12 Mins|
|The Brain That Wouldn't Die||1962||Unknown||Horror, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 22 Mins|
|The Car||1977||PG||Action, Horror, Mystery, Thriller||1 Hr 36 Mins|
||1980||R||Horror||1 Hr 47 Mins|
|Christine||1983||R||Horror||1 Hr 50 Mins|
|The City of Lost Children||1995||R||Fantasy, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 52 Mins|
||1970||PG||Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 40 Mins|
|The Creeping Terror||1964||Unknown||Horror, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 17 Mins|
|Dark City||1998||R||Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 40 Mins|
|The Dark Crystal||1982||PG||Adventure, Family, Fantasy||1 Hr 33 Mins|
|Delicatessen||1991||R||Comedy, Crime||1 Hr 39 Mins|
|Double Down||2005||PG-13||Action, Drama, Romance, Thriller||1 Hr 33 Mins|
|The Entity See Note #1 Below||1982||R||Biography, Drama, Horror||2 Hr 5 Mins|
|Event Horizon||1997||R||Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 36 Mins|
|The Evil Dead See Note #1 Below||1981||NC-17||Horror||1 Hr 25 Mins|
|The Evil Dead See Note #1 Below||2013||R||Fantasy, Horror||1 Hr 31 Mins|
|Ex Machina||2014||R||Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 48 Mins|
|Fahrenheit 451||1966||Not Rated||Drama, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 52 Mins|
|Full Metal Jacket||1987||R||Drama, War||1 Hr 56 mins|
||1981||R||Action, Adventure, Horror, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 21 Mins|
||1984||PG||Comedy, Fantasy, Horror||1 Hr 46 Mins|
|Gremlins 2: The New Batch||1990||PG-13||Comedy, Fantasy, Horror||1 Hr 46 Mins|
|The Haunting||1963||G||Horror||1 Hr 52 Mins|
|The Haunting||1999||PG-13||Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Thriller||1 Hr 53 Mins|
|I, Robot||2004||PG-13||Action, Crime, Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 55 Mins|
|Insanitarium||2008||R||Horror, Thriller||1 Hr 29 Mins|
||2010||PG-13||Horror, Mystery, Thriller||1 Hr 43 Mins|
|Insidious: Chapter 2||2013||PG-13||Horror, Mystery, Thriller||1 Hr 46 Mins|
|Insidious: Chapter 3||2015||PG-13||Horror, Mystery, Thriller||1 Hr 37 Mins|
|In Time||2011||PG-13||Action, Crime, Drama||1 Hr 49 Min|
|The Island||2005||PG-13||Action, Adventure, Romance, Sci-Fi, Thriller||2 Hr 16 Mins|
|Labyrinth||1986||PG||Adventure, Family, Fantasy, Musical||1 Hr 41 Mins|
|Lifeforce||1985||R||Action, Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 56 Mins|
||1976||PG||Action, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 59 Mins|
|Maximum Overdrive||1986||R||Action, Comedy, Horror, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 38 Mins|
|Natural Born Killers||1994||R||Crime, Drama||1 Hr 58 Mins|
|Network||1976||R||Drama||2 Hr 1 Min|
|Outland||1981||R||Action, Crime, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 52 Mins|
||2000||R||Horror, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 49 Mins|
|Poltergeist||1982||PG||Horror, Thriller||1 Hr 54 Mins|
|Poltergeist||2015||PG-13||Horror, Thriller||1 Hr 33 Mins|
|Repo The Genetic Opera||2008||R||Horror, Musical, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 38 Mins|
|The Room||2003||R||Drama||1 Hr 39 Mins|
|R.O.T.O.R.||1987||R||Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 30 Mins|
|RoboCop||1987||R||Action, Crime, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 42 Mins|
|RoboCop||2014||PG-13||Action, Crime, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 57 Mins|
|Rose Red See Note #2||2002||PG-13||Horror, Mystery, Thriller||4 Hr 14 Mins|
|Rubber||2010||R||Comedy, Horror||1 Hr 22 Mins|
|The Shining||1980||R||Drama, Horror||2 Hr 26 Mins|
|Short Circuit||1986||PG||Comedy, Family, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 38 Mins|
|Silent Running||1972||PG||Drama, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 29 Mins|
||1998||R||Action, Drama, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 39 Mins|
|Stranger Than Fiction||2006||PG-13||Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Romance||1 Hr 53 Mins|
|The Terminator||1984||R||Action, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 47 Mins|
|They Live||1988||R||Action, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 34 Mins|
|The Thing||1982||R||Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 49 Mins|
||1981||PG||Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Sci-Fi||1 hr 50 Mins|
|Transcendence||2014||PG-13||Drama, Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 59 Mins|
|The Truman Show||1998||PG||Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 43 Mins|
|TRON||1982||PG||Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 36 Mins|
|TRON: Legacy||2010||PG||Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 5 Mins|
|Turbo Kid||2015||Unknown||Action, Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 33 Mins|
|Vanilla Sky||2001||R||Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi, Thriller||2 Hr 16 Mins|
|Vice||2015||R||Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 36 Mins|
|Waiting...||2005||R||Comedy||1 Hr 34 Mins|
|Wargames||1983||PG||Sci-Fi, Thriller||1 Hr 54 Mins|
||1973||PG-13||Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller, Western||1 Hr 28 Mins|
|Wizards (Ralph Bakshi's)||1977||PG||Animation, Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi||1 Hr 20 Mins|
("The Suggested List" table is maintained carefully by Lloyd. Please do not edit it without permission.)
- Much of the information about the movies is retrieved from IMDb.
- Some inaccurate information is possible and has been discovered.
- So, please report any inaccuracies to Lloyd so that they may be corrected.
- You may reach him via Slack, @lloyd.black or in the #theater_discussion Slack channel.
"Note #1" Information:
|Movie Specific Information:|
|The Entity||1982||R||Biography, Drama, Horror|
| Scene Info:
|The Evil Dead||1981||NC-17||Horror|
|The Evil Dead||2013||R||Fantasy, Horror|
| Scene Info:
|Some movies that mention 'Note #1" are going to be on the border of the restriction of 'no porn'. However, they're NOT porn, just strange and extremely suggestive so they are still being planned for showing.|
The category of "hentai" in anime is often hardcore porn in many of the known videos. So, there will never be any hentai as to prevent the possibility of showing porn.
"Note #2" Information:
Star Wars Night
"Star Wars Night" was merged into Theater Discussion Night and therefore the Star Wars series will be shown occasionally during TDN events.
These movies are listed in chronological order based on the story of the series:
|Episode I - The Phantom Menace||1999||PG||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 16 Mins|
|Episode II - Attack of the Clones||2002||PG||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 22 Mins|
|Episode III - Revenge of the Sith||2005||PG-13||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 20 Mins|
|Rogue One: A Star Wars Story||2016||PG-13||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 13 Mins|
|Episode IV - A New Hope||1977||PG||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 1 Min|
|Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back||1980||PG||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 4 Mins|
|Episode VI - Return of the Jedi||1983||PG||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 11 Mins|
|Episode VII - The Force Awakens||2015||PG-13||Action, Adventure, Fantasy||2 Hr 16 Mins|
|Episode VIII - The Last Jedi||2017||PG-13||Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi||2 Hr 32 Mins|
The animated series shown on TV are a TV show and therefore will not be shown during TDN events.
- Westworld Nights events are for the viewing of the HBO series Westworld (not the Westworld movie from 1973).
- Westworld Night events will be scheduled soon. Keep watching this section for new information about these special events.
- These events will be two episodes each night. They will feature the first season initially and then progress into the second season.
- There will also be requests for specific episodes if there's enough demand for them.
- Please contact Lloyd Black for additional information by using Slack. Lloyd's name on Slack is @lloyd.black.
These Slack links with either open the browser version or redirect to your desktop Slack app:
- tv-hbo-westworld - General show discussion
- theater_westworld - Strictly for scheduling dates and times for "Westworld Nights" events.
Basic Discussion Rules:
- Please use some common sense when discussing the movie.
- Please keep discussions peaceful, no arguments are to start. The whole experience is to be educational and enjoyed by everyone.
- If the discussion is political due to the politics in the movie, please keep it reasonable.
- Do NOT bring ANY current day politics into the discussion unless they're relevant to the movie.
- This is NOT a platform for anyone's opinion of our current political state.
- If an argument does start you will be required to leave immediately.
- Additionally, DO NOT bring religion into the discussion unless it's directly related to the movie.
- If religion is a part of the movie, DO NOT bring any heavily biased religious discussion into the discussion of the movie.
- Do not bring your ego into the discussion. Nobody is right or wrong in discussing fictional movies.
- Keep in mind that most everything discussed during a fictional movie is only theory, so please do not take opposing theories as fact or personal.
Possible general discussions could include the following:
- Compare the ethics that existed in the fictional reality of the movie to ours.
- Compare the fictional reality to our actual reality we're dealing with currently, is it better or worse.
- How would the movie reality would evolve in it's future.
- Compare the technology they have to ours. Is it better, worse, totally fictional, a joke, etc..
- (Optional:) Compare the types of people. Are they even comparable in intelligence, etc..
- Are the main characters likeable? Do you identify with the antagonist or the protagonist?
- In an apocalypse movie, what could've changed to prevent the apocalypse that occurred.
- What will happen to that world after the apocalypse. (Providing the world still exists in some capacity.)
- Could one person have been instrumental in changing the course of events.
AI (Artificial Intelligence):
- Example Movies: "2001: A Space Odyssey", "2010", "Colossus: The Forbin Project"
- What type of AI was featured in the movie.
- What did the AI have in mind for the humans and could it have been changed.
- What kind of OS could it have been running on or was it totally fictional.
- Was the AI actually sentient and at what point did it become sentient.
- Did it have assistance from a human to become sentient.
- How did the AI evolve over the course of the movie and how long did it take.
Androids (also related to AI):
- Example Movies: "Android", "Automata", "Bicentennial Man", "Ex Machina"
- If androids looked similar to real people would you accept them as other people or just machines?
- For men: If there were female looking androids that could pass for human (and anatomically correct) would you date them or avoid any romantic involvement?
- For women: If there were male looking androids that could pass for human (and anatomically correct) would you date them or avoid any romantic involvement?
- Do you believe androids can achieve sentient status or do you believe they can't obtain that status because they're not organic?
- Could androids obtain sentient status by being sufficiently complex to obtain a soul?
- Have you considered the implications of AI in androids becoming equal to or better than humans in intelligence?
Aliens (if applicable):
- Are they even realistic? Too human? Too alien?
- Would you accept them into our society if they were real?
False reality situations:
- Example Movies: "The Matrix", "The Truman Show", "Dark City"
- If you were to find out that your perceived reality was fake how would you feel about it?
- If the situation was favorable to you, would you leave it anyway or stay?
- Would you try to find out who made the environment you live in or stay away from them?
- Additional discussion questions for this list are welcome. Please submit them to Lloyd Black on Slack @lloyd.black
Slack Channel for Theater Discussion Night
- The Slack channel for Theater Discussion Night, #theater_discussion, is for general discussion of the event and movies in general.
- Slack channel link: #theater_discussion
- (For use with the browser version of Slack)
- The #theater_discussion channel is also one of the best ways to contact Lloyd regarding the events.
- It's also good for discussing the movies shown or to be shown, and talking about movies in general whether they're on the list or not.
- Please do not monopolize the channel for discussing certain movies or a sequence of movies like Star Wars, Star Trek or any other movies that follow a specific theme or story line.
Movie Rating System Information:
Basic Movie Rating Information:
- Rated G: General Audiences. All ages admitted. Nothing that would offend parents for viewing by children.
- Rated PG: Parental Guidance Suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
- Rated PG-13: Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
- Rated R: Restricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
- Rated NC-17: Adults Only. No One 17 and Under Admitted. Clearly adult. Children are not admitted.
- Not-Rated or Unrated: This means the movie has not been rated by the MPAA or is the "Unrated" version. Viewer discretion is advised.
For "Theater Discussion Night":
- Unknown: No rating information was able to be found about the movie after many searches were conducted. Viewer discretion is advised.
The Fine Print Disclaimer
- Rules listed on the very top of this page are not the only rules for this event. Many rules may be common sense and are not listed due to making the list too long for easy review before an event.
- Lloyd reserves the right to ask people to leave in the event that people refuse to obey the stated rules.
- This event will not support any religious or political bias that is brought in by any guest.
- Do not bring discuss religion or politics during any Theater Discussion Night events.
- All movies being shown are for educational purposes as these events also include a mandatory discussion. This is required aspect of this event as to avoid copyright violations.
- Anyone objecting to the content of the movies are welcome to leave the event. (If you don't like the movie, don't watch it.)
- In no way will this event ever be for sharing and/or copying movies by anyone attending.
- None of the movies shown during this event or listed in the "Suggested List" are available for loan. If you want to borrow a movie, get a Netflix subscription.
- For all events, the movie being shown will be coming only from Lloyd's laptop computer. (The only exception being if his laptop isn't functioning, in which case the event could be cancelled.)
- Movies that are unable to be shown from Lloyd's laptop will be played from a player that will be owned by Lloyd.
- All movies being shown are will be legally owned by Lloyd and will only come from his own DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray collection, not from Netflix. This is NOT open for debate.
- The contents of this page are subject to change frequently and without notice.
- All movies shown are from the original media purchased legally from reputable sources such as Amazon.com.
- Software: All movies shown during the "Theater Discussion Night" are played via VLC Media Player.
- Hardware: All movies are played using Lloyd's laptop and an external HDD.
- Also, being the event uses the classroom projector, Lloyd keeps extra bulbs on hand to replace the bulbs quickly and efficiently. So, please don't order bulbs unless told to do so, there's extra bulbs already available. Ask Lloyd for them before attempting to do it yourself. You may contact Lloyd by Slack @lloyd.black or by phone/text at 321-220-4013. He lives very close to the lab so response and replacement time should be fairly short.
- Last but not least, only Lloyd reserves the right to override anything stated on this page.
About "Theater Discussion Night"
This event started with a casual discussion between Dustin Cox and Lloyd Black. The discussion was simply about the possible interest in showing Sci-Fi movies from the 80's era. It seemed that there could be some interest in people wanting to watch movies from that time since many members favor Sci-Fi movies.
This discussion ended up being the reason why Lloyd went ahead and planned the events which became Theater Discussion Night (TDN). It has since become a quiet event but since it's beginning it's slowly gaining popularity. It does have some events that are very lightly attended but that's acceptable since a heavily attended event would make for a more difficult discussion at the end.
The discussion at the end of each event is necessary as it keeps the event "fair use". The discussion keeps the event within the legal range as it makes it an educational event. Also, the discussion adds a fun aspect of the event since it allows the attendees to learn more about the movie, it also makes the event more fun to attend. Fair use is the loosely the use for the movie for criticism, commentary, education and research of a given movie. TDN actually does cover most if not all of these points. We often do criticism, some commentary, definitely education and there's a fair amount of research done by Lloyd and the other attendees when the movie is being considered and at the end during the discussion phase.
Overall, its usually an interesting event that's enjoyed as a fun event and thought provoking. Many times the discussion brings up the idea of what life would be like if we lived in the fictional environment depicted in the movie.
We typically don't discuss the 'making of' aspect of the movie as that's not what the discussion is about. It's focused on the aspect of what is going on within the false reality of the movie.
Lloyd's interest in TDN is partially from his interest in the many aspects of movies from the script writing aspect, special effects and many other aspects of movie making. However, it's also from the fictional aspect of the false realities within the movies. Lloyd went to college for 'Film and Video Production'. Lloyd also collects many movies but doesn't have the collection he wishes he had but that's just because of space restrictions of where he lives. Lloyd has always wanted to have his own theater to show movies within his interest. TDN partially grants his wishes with running the event even if the attendance is fairly low compared to an actual theater. Being able to share this passion of movies with other members within FamiLAB is greatly rewarding though.
FamiLAB is a unique place that allows members to take part in many things. One of those things is to share interests and passions with other people with similar interests. That is how TDN is able to exist and also helps other people learn about movies even if we don't make movies but we're able to share our interests in them another way.
Some Informational External Links Regarding Movies and Media Playing Software
The following links are used for information featured on this page and for the production that is the TDN event.
- IMDb (Internet Movie Database) - Popular Searchable Additional Movie information
- MPAA Film Ratings Guide
- FilmRatings.com (Searchable Movie Ratings)
- Google Images Used often for acquiring movie poster images. (IMDb is also used for collecting movie poster images.)
- VLC Media Player Used for playing movies and other media.
- Special Note: VLC is probably one of the most versatile media players for most OS's and is highly recommended for playing most video formats.