Talk:Theater Discussion Night
This Discussion page will be for recording the discussion aspect of the events.
- Lloyd Black conducts the event and will conduct the discussion session.
- Verbal discussion contribution is voluntary but encouraged. Contribution to this page is also encouraged and voluntary.
- Recording the initial movie discussion information is done exclusively by Lloyd Black.
- That includes the movie title, date, and attendance information.
Thank you for interest in sharing your thoughts about the presentation.
- 1 Movie: "Gremlins"- Dec. 22nd, 2017
- 2 Movie: "2001: A Space Odyssey"- Planned for: Jan. 12th, 2018
- 3 Movie: "Colossus: The Forbin Project"- Planned for: Jan. 26th, 2018
- 4 Movie: "The Shining"- Planned for: Feb. 9th, 2018
- 5 Movie: "Pitch Black"- Planned for: Feb. 23rd, 2018
- 6 Due to technical difficulties with "Logan's Run" and VLC Media Player we ended up watching "The Changeling".
- 7 Movie: "The Changeling"- Unplanned for: March 9th, 2018 but shown in place of "Logan's Run"
- 8 Movie: "Logan's Run"- Planned for: April 13th, 2018
- 9 Movie: "Dark City"- Planned for: April 27th, 2018: 1 Hr 40 Min
Movie: "Gremlins"- Dec. 22nd, 2017
- Event Host and Discussion Moderator: Lloyd Black
- Event Attendees and Discussion Contributors:
- Stephen Copeland
- August Pamplona
- Lloyd Black entry:
- We discussed the possible origin of the Mogwai being of natural origin. There wasn't enough solid information to determine any additional data about the creature. We also were unable to conclude the religion or origin of the old man. We did consider that the Mogwai may not age like natural biological beings based on how long it may have been with the old man. Also, the old man stated in the end that the son may be ready at some point, which may suggest that the Mogwai are old enough to see generations of people so they may be passed down. We theorized on other topics but no solid conclusions were reached based on the fact that it's simply just a movie.
- Lloyd Black entry:
- Additionally: We ended up watching "Colossus: The Forbin Project". However, it will still be shown as scheduled. The movie was shown to present the very beginning of the movie to Stephen Copeland who was interested by what Lloyd Black shared but we got sucked into the movie and ended up watching the entire movie which of course ended in a short discussion. That discussion was mostly carried outside of the classroom and actually outside. So, a more lengthy discussion will be recorded on the day of the official showing and discussion of "Colossus: The Forbin Project" on Jan 26th.
Movie: "2001: A Space Odyssey"- Planned for: Jan. 12th, 2018
This event had been cancelled due to Lloyd being ill and could not conduct the event.
Movie: "Colossus: The Forbin Project"- Planned for: Jan. 26th, 2018
- There was a considerable discussed mostly lead by Stephen Copeland.
- The discussion really just went into current AI but was inspired by the ending of the movie.
- Current AI systems were discussed.
- AlphaGo was discussed.
- Military AI was discussed.
- "Seven Days of AI" was watched on YouTube. A video related to the topic. The video was also discussed.
Movie: "The Shining"- Planned for: Feb. 9th, 2018
Movie was cancelled due to a personal emergency.
Movie: "Pitch Black"- Planned for: Feb. 23rd, 2018
Discussion wasn't performed due to Lloyd not feeling well.
Due to technical difficulties with "Logan's Run" and VLC Media Player we ended up watching "The Changeling".
The movie had some technical difficulties which resulted in the movie not playing as planned. This problem was resolved at home by copying over a working copy of "Logan's Run".
Movie: "The Changeling"- Unplanned for: March 9th, 2018 but shown in place of "Logan's Run"
- Discussion: There was an unfortunate lack of interest in any discussion. Apparently people are missing the "Discussion" element of the "Theater Discussion Night".
- If lack of participation in discussions continue this event will be cancelled permanently in the near future.
Movie: "Logan's Run"- Planned for: April 13th, 2018
Low attendance: Mel (a friend) and Dustin Cox
- Possible discussion topics specifically for "Logan's Run"
- Would you enjoy a life of just leisure and sex in such an enclosed environment shown in Logan's Run?
- Mel: No
- Dustin: Yes (joking)
- Lloyd: No
- Would you enjoy a life where everything is taken care of and you just enjoy life with the condition you die at 30?
- No, by everyone.
- Would you choose to be an average citizen or choose to be one of the "sandmen" who hunt down and terminate "runners" who want to live past 30?
- Mel, regular citizen
- Lloyd, I'd want to be a sandman
- Dustin, sandmen
- Would you want to be a "runner" who wants to try to live past 30 and try to escape the city?
- Mel, yes, I want to be a runner to live.
- Dustin, No, I wouldn't run.
- Lloyd, I'd run with the condition I wouldn't get frozen.
- How would you feel if you were a "runner" who escaped the city only to find out there's no sanctuary and find out there's nothing outside?
- Mel, I'd stay outside and try to survive. I'd keep looking around outside.
- Dustin, I'd feel disappointed.
- Lloyd, I'd be disappointed too but I'd stay outside to survive.
- Would you want to live life but know you could never interact with your child who's taken care of without your help?
- Mel, yes, I don't want kids anyway so someone else could take care of them.
- Dustin, No answer
- Lloyd, I don't want kids either so I don't care.
- If you were Logan, would you have told Francis about your mission even though you weren't supposed to?
- Mel, No
- Dustin, Yes
- Lloyd, I would have told him so he could assist me secretly and not try to kill me.
- If you were Francis, would you have helped Logan in his mission or would you have tried to kill him and Jessica?
- Mel, I would've helped.
- Dustin, Yes, no, it depends.
- Lloyd, I would've been on the fence about this.
- Would you have rather been an armed Sandman or one of the cleaning Sandmen who sprayed corpses to get rid of the bodies?
- Dustin, Armed sandman
- Mel, Cleaner
- Lloyd, armed sandman
- If you were to be cryogenically frozen and wake up in the world of Logan's run what would you do?
- Mel, Run
- Dustin, scream
- Lloyd, Undecided
- Additionally, if you to wake from being cryogenically frozen, and be over 30, would you run?
- Mel, run
- Dustin, run
- Lloyd, run
- Questions and comments from attendees.
- The way the building outside was cool looking.
- The reflection pool was cool
- When they jumped into the water it was stupid because they didn't know how deep it was.
- Mel now wants to see the remake because of seeing the original.
- It would be neat to see a comic book based on Logan's Run
- The AI was strange since it blew up after receiving information that didn't go with what it expected.
Movie: "Dark City"- Planned for: April 27th, 2018: 1 Hr 40 Min
- Possible Discussion Questions:
- How would you feel about being stuck in such a city and what role would you want to be in, a citizen or one of the aliens?
- As a citizen, would you want to remember what your previous life was before being changed by the aliens?
- If you were able to remember the previous configuration of the city what would you think was going on?
- If you knew who was changing the city and it's population what would you think about it?
- If there was a way to leave the city, would you stay or leave?
- If you had the power to "chune" (the power that the aliens had) what would you change about the city?