Empty until next wiki project.
Temporary location for this information:
Suggestions for "New Member Orientation Class"
This is strictly just a rough draft of a list of general topic suggestions for the class. Please feel free to leave some out of the actual class. This is just a list of things I thought might be useful.
- -> I might change this list as I give it more thought.
New Member orientation:
- Our lab community and membership. (Sense of community and an opportunity to build friendships)
- Participate in lab events and classes.
- Come to the lab to just be a part of the community. Many people come to the lab to socialize.
- Important: Door Access and safety - NFC/ID card and the breakaway lanyard
- Always be in possession of your ID card.
- Report any lost or stolen card to a board member.
- If your ID is worn around your neck, always use a breakaway lanyard for safety reasons.
- Suggested classes and events to attend for lab safety, fun and education:
- Open House events
- Monthly member meetings
- Machine shop 101 (important) (Fee required)
- Laser class 101 (important) (Free class)
- Look for other classes and events on the calendar (https://familab.org/calendar/)
- Environment safety, responsibility, and use & conservation of resources:
- Lights (How to control them and when to turn them off)
- Climate control - Lab zones (How to set the thermostat and when/how to turn them off)
- Broken Equipment - The importance of reporting broken equipment so it can be fixed.
- Paper towels, drinking cups and other disposable materials. Report them if they're running low.
- Garbage (Please empty the cans and putting new bags in when they're full)
- Recycle Aluminum Cans - Can crusher and can bin
- Restroom cleanliness
- Absolutely no smoking (cigarettes, cigars) inside the lab at all. There is a cigarette disposal bucket outside of the front door at the base of the stairs.
- Doors (keep closed and locked unless in use)
- Front door, needs to closed all the way.
- Bay Door, make sure the bottom slide locks are slid all the way closed.
- Side door, make sure it's securely closed not just appearing to be closed.
- Personal safety (warehouse, metal shop and other lab zones) (List each zone, it's function and how to use tools safely):
- Eyeware (safety glasses for most warehouse areas or welding helmet if welding)
- Ear protection (where applicable)
- Clothing (fire resistance if using welding equipment)
- Gloves (if necessary)
- (Possible topic: avoid drama, use common sense, etc. especially if new)
- Responsibilities and benefits as a member:
- Leaving/removing personal food in the fridges. Do not leave food in fridges too long.
- Membership levels and what each level offers. Pay member dues on time if it's not automatic.
- Monitoring guests and provisional members.
- Be aware of current lab policies.
- Lab Communication and information:
- Using "Slack" for communication ( https://familab.slack.com/) (If not already on Slack get involved and use team name: FamiLAB)
- Use the FamiLAB calendar (https://familab.org/calendar/)
- Use the FamiLAB forums (https://forums.familab.org/)
- FamiLAB Wiki use and contributions (https://familab.org/wiki/FamiLAB)
- Using WiFi and our password (also mention wired internet)
- Who are the current board members and what do they do.
- Who are the POCs for each zone, tool responsibility
- (Optional: Additionally who are project leaders and instructors for recurring classes and events)
- Personal project storage: FamiLAB provided personal Bins
- Level #1 $50: "Maker" members may use 1 bin
- Level #2 $100: "Booster" members may use 2 bins (subject to availability)