So, you want to be a FamiLAB Member? Awesome! We love adding new people to our community. We have a membership process that allows you to get to know us and us to get to know you.
Where do I start?
- Visit us at our Open House on the second Tuesday of every month to tour the facilities, or come to any of our public events on our calendar
- Fill out the new member application
- Attend the next member meeting, on the third Tuesday of every month, to formally introduce yourself to the membership. This allows us to get to know you, and you to get to know us. Meetings happen both in person and via Google Meet. (We know that Tuesdays are not great for everyone. If Tuesday nights are difficult for you, contact us and we’ll get you set up to connect for a video introduction.)
- You will get your provisional badge (This allows you to be in the space as long as a full member is present)
- Join us on Slack – It is our official communication platform and the best way to get a hold of someone.
- Visit the lab! If you’re not sure if there will be anyone at the space, ask when someone will be there in the #general-meta channel in Slack
- Chat and get to know other members so we can get to know you!
What can/should I do with my provisional badge?
- Your provisional badge indicates to other members that you are a prospective member looking to join the community; it does not yet grant you 24/7 door access to the space.
- Provisional members are allowed use of the space, provided that there is a full member on premises.
- Some equipment does require additional training. If you are not sure, please ask in the appropriate Slack channel.
What happens next?
- After your 1-month provisional period, attend the subsequent member meeting to be formally introduced as a new member.
- Set up your recurring payments of dues.
- Once your dues are set up, your provisional badge will be activated for the door giving you 24/7 access to FamiLAB. After that, send a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org, we’ll print a custom badge for you!
Membership Levels and Dues
Do not start paying dues until you have been confirmed at a monthly meeting.
- Maker Membership: Dues are $50/month. Membership includes voting rights and 24×7 access to the lab.
- Maker Plus Membership: Dues are $75/month. Membership is extended to one additional adult. Additional person must also complete the membership process.
- Booster Membership: Dues are $100/month. For those that have the ability to and want to be extra awesome. “Booster” membership includes membership for one additional adult.
Recommendations for Potential & New Members
- Chat with us on Slack – Our official daily communication platform. You can invite yourself by using the link here: Slack
- Make a project! The best way to show you know what you’re doing is to do it!
What is the minimum membership age?
- Members must be 18 or older. Minors can accompany their adult parent, and can be unaccompanied at events that specifically allow unaccompanied minors. Minors are restricted from using specific tools without direct supervision from parent or legal guardian.
How do I get trained on a tool?
- Currently most of our training is one on one. The best way to get arrange training is to ask in Slack.
Do you offer discounted membership?
- We strive to keep FamiLAB open to as many people as possible. If you contact us at email@example.com, we will be happy to work something out with you.
I’m an existing member. What do I do if I have a concern about someone (new member, existing member, etc.)?=
- Bring it to the attention of the board – you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our form and we’ll do our best to help resolve the concern. If you email us or leave your contact information in the form, we’ll get back with you about a resolution.