Some of the process detailed below is temporary due to COVID-19
So, you want to be a FamiLAB Member? Awesome! We love adding new people to our community. We have a new membership process that allows you to get to know us and us to get to know you.
(Bear with us as we're trying out a new process - this may change a little bit!)
Where do I start?
Come visit us during one of our public events (come to open house, take a class, visit a meetup, or most anything on our calendar)(In person public events temporarily on-hold due to Covid-19)
- Contact us to work out a time to tour the facilities
- Sign a safety waiver
- Fill out the new member application
- Attend the next member meeting, third Tuesday of every month, to formally introduce yourself to the membership. This allows us to get to know you, and you to get to know us. (We know that Tuesdays are not great for everyone. If Tuesday nights are difficult for you, contact us and we'll get you set up to connect for a video introduction.)
- You will get your provisional badge (now you can be in the space as long as a full member is present)
- Join us on Slack - It is our official communication platform!
- Visit the lab! If you’re not sure if there will be anyone at the space, ask on Slack.
- Schedule a time to meet with a membership coordinator to chat so we can get a better understanding of how you’d fit into our community
What can I do with my provisional badge?
- Your provisional badge indicates to other members that you are a prospective member looking to join the community; it does not yet grant you 24/7 door access to the space.
- Provisional members are allowed use of the space, provided that there is a full member on premises.
- Some equipment requires additional training. If you are not sure, please ask in the appropriate Slack channel.
What happens next?
- After your provisional period, attend the subsequent member meeting to be formally introduced as a new member.
- Set up your recurring payments of dues.
- Once your dues are set up, your provisional badge will be activated for the door giving you 24/7 access to FamiLAB. (You should then send a photo to email@example.com to have a custom badge printed for you!)
Membership Levels and Dues
Please do not start paying dues until you have been confirmed at a monthly meeting.
- "Booster" Membership: Dues are $100/month. Membership support of FamiLAB includes voting rights, 24x7 access to the lab, and ability to sponsor another individual at the "Maker" level.
- "Maker" Membership: Dues are $50/month. Membership support of FamiLAB includes voting rights, and 24x7 access to the lab.
Membership rights extend to immediate family members.
Sponsorship opportunities are available for students and those in need. Contact us for more information.
Recommendations for Potential & New Members
- Join the forums - http://forums.familab.org And tell us a little about yourself in the new members section!
- Chat with us on Slack - Our official daily communication platform. Invite yourself by using the link here! Slack
I'm an existing member. What do I do if I have a concern about someone (new member, existing member, etc.)?
- Bring it to the board - you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our form and we'll discuss it at the next board meeting. If you email us or leave your contact information in the form, we'll get back with you about a resolution after the next board meeting.