Difference between revisions of "Minutes 1/17/12"

From FamiLAB Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "Meeting Minutes 17JAN12 <pre> Present: Mike K., Dave W., JB Zurn, Matt A., Mike S., Mike B., Tom L., Ian C., Mack H., Chris P., Tony M., Dave C., Aaron C., Tracy L, Bill R., Zane...")
 
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
17JAN12
 
17JAN12
 
<pre>
 
<pre>
Present: Mike K., Dave W., JB Zurn, Matt A., Mike S., Mike B., Tom L., Ian C., Mack H., Chris P., Tony M., Dave C., Aaron C., Tracy L, Bill R., Zane P., John B. C., Jean O. (new member), Tim F. (new member), Les M.
+
Present: Mike K., Dave W., JB Zurn, Matt A., Mike S., Mike B., Tom L., Ian C., Mack H., Chris P., Tony M.,
 +
Dave C., Aaron C., Tracy L, Bill R., Zane P., John B. C., Jean O. (new member), Tim F. (new member), Les M.
  
 
8:08P - Meeting Called to order
 
8:08P - Meeting Called to order
 
- Space Update
 
- Space Update
- Inspection went well. We have time to  
+
- Inspection went well. We have time to fix things. Work in progress.
 
- New members: Tim, Jean,
 
- New members: Tim, Jean,
 
- Upcoming events
 
- Upcoming events
Line 34: Line 35:
 
- We do tours. We can always have someone meet new people.
 
- We do tours. We can always have someone meet new people.
 
- Discussion: Members holding events at the lab
 
- Discussion: Members holding events at the lab
- Two questions:
+
- Two questions:
- Familab events
+
- Familab events
- A member wants to hold an event at the lab, what do they do
+
- A member wants to hold an event at the lab, what do they do
- One time events are different than recurring events
+
- One time events are different than recurring events
- Anything in the shop needs to be an organized event.  Too many issues with safety and security.
+
- Anything in the shop needs to be an organized event.  Too many issues with safety and security.
- Inside, classroom etc., is another matter.  Probably OK to host an event in there.
+
- Inside, classroom etc., is another matter.  Probably OK to host an event in there.
- Reminder: page on the wiki about holding an event
+
- Reminder: page on the wiki about holding an event
- Dan working on a form on the website.
+
- Dan working on a form on the website.
- Dan: Where do you draw the line as far as a member bringing non members?
+
- Dan: Where do you draw the line as far as a member bringing non members?
- Probably need a limit
+
- Probably need a limit
- 4
+
- Answers: 4, 1, 6, a car load?
- 1
+
- If someone books a resource, that trumps non scheduled event
- 6
+
- Tour vs hangout
- A car load?
+
- Are you keeping someone else from doing something
- If someone books a resource, that trumps non scheduled event
+
- Agenda item: Non-Member entrance provisions - When do we let them in, how can we keep them out when necessary
- Tour vs hangout
+
- Dave: Someone showed up today and bent his ear for two hours.  Wanted to call someone.
- Are you keeping someone else from doing something
+
- Agenda item: Non-Member entrance provisions - When do we let them in, how can we keep them out when necessary
+
- Dave: Someone showed up today and bent his ear for two hours.  Wanted to call someone.
+
- Phone number on the door
+
 
- Is it not clear how to get in touch with us?
 
- Is it not clear how to get in touch with us?
- A phone number would be great
+
- Phone number on the door would be great
- Website navigation could use work
+
- Website navigation could use work
- Welcome email has info
+
- Welcome email has info
- Policy: Keep garage door shut and locked
+
- Policy: Keep garage door shut and locked
- Policy? Non-members showing up outside visiting hours  
+
- Policy? Non-members showing up outside visiting hours  
- Dan: If someone come to the lab, adn you want to let them in, that's cool, You're responsible for them.  By the same token, if you dont want to let them in, dont.
+
- Dan: If someone come to the lab, adn you want to let them in, that's cool, You're responsible for them.  By the same token, if you dont want to let them in, dont.
 
- John: lots of us don't feel comfortable just turning someone away
 
- John: lots of us don't feel comfortable just turning someone away
 
- Mike: Would be useful to have something you could give them, so that after 5 minutes you could hand them something and not have to talk to them anymore.
 
- Mike: Would be useful to have something you could give them, so that after 5 minutes you could hand them something and not have to talk to them anymore.
Line 68: Line 65:
 
- Vinyl block on windows?
 
- Vinyl block on windows?
 
- Have to be able to see out, camera?
 
- Have to be able to see out, camera?
- DIY Book Scanner project
+
- DIY Book Scanner project
- Aaron was heading that up, hasnt been able to reestablish contact
+
- Aaron was heading that up, hasnt been able to reestablish contact
- Quick overview
+
- Mike B has one, will bring it in (not the standard one)
- Mike B has one, will bring it in (not the standard one)
+
- Bill: Lockheed Martin Blimp Contest
- Bill: Lockheed Martin Blimp Contest
+
- There's an opening for a team
- There's an opening for a team
+
- Money available for the build
- Money available for the build
+
- Is there interest? yes
- Is there interest? yes
+
- Details forthcoming
- Details forthcoming
+
 
- He will get more information
 
- He will get more information
- Maker Faire!
+
- Maker Faire!
- Group Project
+
- Group Project
- Power racing league
+
- Power racing league
- Agenda Item: Accepting donations, etc.
+
- Agenda Item: Accepting donations, etc.
- We still have stuff from Day 1
+
- We still have stuff from Day 1
- We need to curb that.
+
- We need to curb that.
- Idea: Bins at each bench, where you could put something that was found on the bench to get it out of the way
+
- Idea: Bins at each bench, where you could put something that was found on the bench to get it out of the way
- There's a bin from the organization effort from the past weekend of stuff that is queued to be tossed
+
- There's a bin from the organization effort from the past weekend of stuff that is queued to be tossed
- We need a "filter" for donations
+
- We need a "filter" for donations
- Mike and Tracy have done this for museams in the past.
+
- Mike and Tracy have done this for museams in the past.
- He can help with that
+
- He can help with that
- Bins at benches, policy for handling that.
+
- Bins at benches, policy for handling that.
 
- PSA: If you are entitled to storage (locker, cart), claim it
 
- PSA: If you are entitled to storage (locker, cart), claim it
- Mike wants have a floor layout meeting
+
- Mike wants have a floor layout meeting
- He can drive that
+
- He can drive that
- Matt: Can he make a kit to sell?
+
- Matt: Can he make a kit to sell?
- Couple of questions here
+
- Couple of questions here
- Some answered at the mission workshop
+
- Some answered at the mission workshop
- We're still a fablab, for whatever that means
+
- We're still a fablab, for whatever that means
- Mike: Clean up after yourselves, please
+
- Mike: Clean up after yourselves, please
- logo contest
+
- logo contest
- February's meeting we'll (possibly) vote
+
- February's meeting we'll (possibly) vote
- Mission workshop might drive this
+
- Mission workshop might drive this
- Mailing list topic
+
- Mailing list topic
- Dave: Gadget Emporium open for business
+
- Dave: Gadget Emporium open for business
- Any objections with him posting to the list
+
- Any objections with him posting to the list
- Everyone ok with that
+
- Everyone ok with that
- Should he shunt funds to the space or just sell cheaply?
+
- Should he shunt funds to the space or just sell cheaply?
- Sell cheaply
+
- Sell cheaply
- Dave: Lasersaur
+
- Dave: Lasersaur
- Any objection to him starting a build here? nope.jpg
+
- Any objection to him starting a build here? nope.jpg
 
9:52P - Meeting adjourned  
 
9:52P - Meeting adjourned  
 
</pre>
 
</pre>

Latest revision as of 17:00, 18 January 2012

Meeting Minutes 17JAN12

Present: Mike K., Dave W., JB Zurn, Matt A., Mike S., Mike B., Tom L., Ian C., Mack H., Chris P., Tony M.,
Dave C., Aaron C., Tracy L, Bill R., Zane P., John B. C., Jean O. (new member), Tim F. (new member), Les M.

8:08P	- Meeting Called to order
	- Space Update
		- Inspection went well. We have time to fix things. Work in progress.
	- New members: Tim, Jean,
	- Upcoming events
		- Soldering, Arduino, Biohacking
		- Tracy: Mission Workshop
			- Lots of growth recently
			- When a group grows very quickly, difficult to keep the same culture
			- Create a mission statement which expresses who/what/why
			- Policy, rules, expectations follows from that
			- Everyone who can should attend
			- Tom: We should all watch the Golden Circle
		- Retro Arcade
	- Financial Update - Ian
		- 7 new members since last month
		- 2 automatic cancelled (out of towners)
		- More IO class, need to run 2 more times to break even
		- Intro to soldering coming up, breaks even. Intro to Arduino, too, makes money.
		- No expense reimbursements.
		- Bills paid (see financial summary)
		- Some outstanding reimbursements for class materials to Dave, Ian.
		- Dave Woods paying for electrical upgrades, which are ongoing.  Over $1K.
		- We got our first power bill: $651.22.  Dec 8th through Jan 10th.  Ouch.
			- Assuming it’s correct, we’re now running a monthly deficit.  Just in overhead (rent, insurance, utilities, etc.)
			- For the time being, conservation should be on our mind
		- Matt (Idealab): How do we get more people here? Should he (and others be talking about it?)
			- Yes, we would never keep people from evangelizing!
			- We do tours. We can always have someone meet new people.
	- Discussion: Members holding events at the lab
		- Two questions:
			- Familab events
			- A member wants to hold an event at the lab, what do they do
		- One time events are different than recurring events
		- Anything in the shop needs to be an organized event.  Too many issues with safety and security.
		- Inside, classroom etc., is another matter.  Probably OK to host an event in there.
		- Reminder: page on the wiki about holding an event
		- Dan working on a form on the website.
		- Dan: Where do you draw the line as far as a member bringing non members?
			- Probably need a limit
				- Answers: 4, 1, 6, a car load?
		- If someone books a resource, that trumps non scheduled event
		- Tour vs hangout
		- Are you keeping someone else from doing something
	- Agenda item: Non-Member entrance provisions - When do we let them in, how can we keep them out when necessary
		- Dave: Someone showed up today and bent his ear for two hours.  Wanted to call someone.		
		- Is it not clear how to get in touch with us?
			- Phone number on the door would be great
			- Website navigation could use work
			- Welcome email has info
		- Policy: Keep garage door shut and locked
		- Policy? Non-members showing up outside visiting hours 
			- Dan: If someone come to the lab, adn you want to let them in, that's cool, You're responsible for them.  By the same token, if you dont want to let them in, dont.
			- John: lots of us don't feel comfortable just turning someone away
			- Mike: Would be useful to have something you could give them, so that after 5 minutes you could hand them something and not have to talk to them anymore.
			- If we dont want the public here, we need something on the door.
	- Related agenda item, light block/foyer area
		- Curtain
		- Vinyl block on windows?
		- Have to be able to see out, camera?
	- DIY Book Scanner project
		- Aaron was heading that up, hasnt been able to reestablish contact		
		- Mike B has one, will bring it in (not the standard one)
	- Bill: Lockheed Martin Blimp Contest
		- There's an opening for a team
		- Money available for the build
		- Is there interest? yes
		- Details forthcoming
		- He will get more information
	- Maker Faire!
		- Group Project
		- Power racing league
	- Agenda Item: Accepting donations, etc.
		- We still have stuff from Day 1
		- We need to curb that.
		- Idea: Bins at each bench, where you could put something that was found on the bench to get it out of the way
		- There's a bin from the organization effort from the past weekend of stuff that is queued to be tossed
		- We need a "filter" for donations
			- Mike and Tracy have done this for museams in the past.
			- He can help with that
		- Bins at benches, policy for handling that.
	- PSA: If you are entitled to storage (locker, cart), claim it
	- Mike wants have a floor layout meeting
		- He can drive that
	- Matt: Can he make a kit to sell?
		- Couple of questions here
			- Some answered at the mission workshop
			- We're still a fablab, for whatever that means
	- Mike: Clean up after yourselves, please
	- logo contest
		- February's meeting we'll (possibly) vote
		- Mission workshop might drive this
		- Mailing list topic
	- Dave: Gadget Emporium open for business
		- Any objections with him posting to the list
		- Everyone ok with that
		- Should he shunt funds to the space or just sell cheaply?
			- Sell cheaply
	- Dave: Lasersaur
		- Any objection to him starting a build here? nope.jpg
9:52P	- Meeting adjourned