We are going to be getting a laser cutter!
Tetsu worked hard and started a Kickstarter project to get us a laser cutter for about $2000. We successfully pimped it out enough to get people to generously donate to our cause, and now we have one!
- Full Spectrum Engineering 40W Co2 Laser Cutter
- 13" x 13" cutting table
- 40w Co2 Laser
- Water cooled
- Safety Interlocks
- 2.75" vertical stroke
- Air assist
- Cutting software (printer driver, uses vector software like CorelDraw/Illustrator/Inkscape)
- Mach3 Control
Our FullSpectrum 40W is far from perfect. Add your suggested improvements to the laser cutter on this list.
- Mount the parallel port driver board further back within the case
- Mount the Mach3 card inside the case, make cover for it to screw in the outside (with the laser cutter!?)
- Strain relief and longer USB cable (Chris has a 10 or 15 ft he will donate. Ferrite beads and gold plated.)
- Air pump (Mack getting this for us so ghetto-rig ShopVac can go away)
- Digital readout for power knob (Looking into digital potentiometer with readout!)
- Lid-switch should trip the system-wide cutoff, not just a computer control cutoff
- IR-sensitive webcam in the box
- Beam-split red laser upgrade to point where the laser will point (Chris will work on this as well as a laser to show where the corner of the piece will start.)
- More stable/level platform
- Locate more metal honeycomb without frame
- Millimeter (digital?) measurement tool on the side of the platform to automatically measure height of platform
- Laser-cut (58mm?) focus measurement stick
- Back-lit switches for the "Laser Power", "Laser Test", "Air Power", and "Light", so we know when it's actually on
- Shiny aircraft switches (Safety to keep from bumping), with led notifiers above
- Water pump flow sensor and light, integrate with Laser On switch to prevent operation if a problem is present.
- Knight rider LED chaser for when laser is active and lasing and dangerous
- Better interior lighting (possibly fluorescent bars and/or LEDs) to better light the work surface
- Possibly redo entire control panel with digital readouts and better (read: safer) switches.
- Custom shelving
- Acrylic chairs!
- Random professional looking constructions
- Wearable computing rig parts
- eyeglass frames
- laptop docks
- engraving ensignia onto phones and laptops
- super-custom made computer cases
- display cases
- any other random design pieces