BreepBroop

From FamiLAB Wiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(General)
(Print Status)
Line 26: Line 26:
  
 
===Print Status===
 
===Print Status===
The printer is not printing. After a total rebuild of the hot end and reassembly, we are still having major issues. It was able to successfully print a Wade's extruder gear, however, the PLA was burning and oozing out of the top of the nozzle slightly. The X axis is cracked near the belt clamp area and binding badly. The Y axis also has a lot of wobble due to the weight of the copper plate. There are no endstops so homing is a major issue. The extruder constantly strips because of the shallow hobbing and due to the fact that the thermocouples are difficult to use in getting an accurate temperature reading, it is hard to figure out what the temperature currently is.
+
The printer is now working great.
 +
 
 +
After a rebuild with a new X carriage (which works very well), a new extruder ([http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6713 Greg's Accessible Wade's]), the Lulzbot Budaschnozzle hot-end, a new bed, SSR for controlling it, and RAMPS kit with a Mega, things are beginning to come together.
 +
 
 +
I found that I had a little lash on my X axis after all that, and after some helpful advice in the #reprap chat on FreeNode, I found that Nophead's pulleys for the belts are NOT for XL-toothed belts, the kind I got from McMaster. They are for T5 belts, more common in Europe. I therefore printed a new pulley for the X axis, and the issue is gone! I need to do the same for the Y axis, which I somewhat dread because it means disassembling the bed once again (and having to re-level it).
 +
 
 +
However, the print quality right now is superb. Some of the issue I was having with printing seemed to be due to the white PLA I was using. Once I ran out of that and switched to green, many problems disappeared. I also noticed that I'm getting a grey plastic ooze coming out of the budaschnozzle in some spots, but that seems to have largely stopped as I've begun using green PLA.
 +
 
 +
I've printed a full set of frame vertexes with feet which I plan to install shortly (about the same time I replace the Y pulley) and I need to start getting the printer more self-contained (small onboard power supply, RAMPS enclosure, etc.
  
 
==Current Work==
 
==Current Work==

Revision as of 14:04, 20 January 2012

Information

The BreepBroop in it's current state

General

The BreepBroop (nickname) is a standard RepRap Mendel. It's the original design, and was printed during the main build rush after the Mendel came out. Chorca printed the parts on Mack's MakerBot over a period of about a month. It is all ABS aside from the frame vertexes which were purchased from the RepRap Forums, from Joshua Updyke in particular. This style of Mendel is rarely made anymore due to it's complexity. The much simpler Prusa Mendel is more commonly built, due to the large reduction of printed parts and hardware, and the simpler pulley and bearing systems used. Digitalman2112's RepRap is a Prusa.

Electronics

The BreepBroop originally used a Techzone Gen3 electronics set, which needed a good amount of touch-up and had some issues. Chorca replaced this.

Mechanical

Most mechanical functions of the BreepBroop are according to the original build specifications. A few modifications have been made:

Software

Chorca is currently using the following:

Print Status

The printer is now working great.

After a rebuild with a new X carriage (which works very well), a new extruder (Greg's Accessible Wade's), the Lulzbot Budaschnozzle hot-end, a new bed, SSR for controlling it, and RAMPS kit with a Mega, things are beginning to come together.

I found that I had a little lash on my X axis after all that, and after some helpful advice in the #reprap chat on FreeNode, I found that Nophead's pulleys for the belts are NOT for XL-toothed belts, the kind I got from McMaster. They are for T5 belts, more common in Europe. I therefore printed a new pulley for the X axis, and the issue is gone! I need to do the same for the Y axis, which I somewhat dread because it means disassembling the bed once again (and having to re-level it).

However, the print quality right now is superb. Some of the issue I was having with printing seemed to be due to the white PLA I was using. Once I ran out of that and switched to green, many problems disappeared. I also noticed that I'm getting a grey plastic ooze coming out of the budaschnozzle in some spots, but that seems to have largely stopped as I've begun using green PLA.

I've printed a full set of frame vertexes with feet which I plan to install shortly (about the same time I replace the Y pulley) and I need to start getting the printer more self-contained (small onboard power supply, RAMPS enclosure, etc.

Current Work

Electronics

Swapped out all the electronics mess with a RAMPS RAMPS platform. This integrates all components onto one shield for the Arduino MEGA, reducing footprint and making everything a lot easier to run. The following are current plans for work:

===Mechanical===. The following are current plans for work:

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox